Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Attitude vs Gratitude

It's always been easy for me to be grateful when everything is going good and just the way I think it should.
Then there's those times things aren't so good, maybe even almost unbearable.  One of the most difficult times of my life was in 1988.  My husband and I was going to college full time.  My parents came to stay with us for the summer to watch our 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son while we went to classes.   Shortly after my parents got there my father was diagnosed with lung cancer. I drove 60 miles to and from school in the mornings and 120 miles taking my dad to Jackson for treatments in the afternoon. My daughter was scheduled to have her tonsils out. My son got hit by a car and was transferred to the Orthopedic hospital in Jackson. Two days later I met the ambulance at the County hospital in Jackson with my dad. Special arrangements were made so my daughters surgery could be done at the orthopedic hospital instead of the ear, nose and throat surgery center.  My mom, my husband and myself were the three well people.  My father and 2 children were the patients.  My father passed away a short time later.  My son was put in a half body cast early so he could attend the funeral with us.
I'm grateful for all the medical staff and special arrangements.  I'm grateful for the strangers that opened their home to us through the home away from home program.  I'm grateful for the time I got to spend with my parents and I'm grateful for the love and compassion my husband showed towards my parents.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment